Sunday, August 23, 2015

Week 5, Friday - Fruit Pie and Avocados and The End

I bought 12 avocados from the market at Vauxhall today on my way to work to make some chocolate mousse.  I also bought some puff pastry and some blueberries so that we could make a fruit and use up some more tins of fruit that we got.  There was still some salsa left from yesterday so I thought we could make some guacamole again, as the kids have always enjoyed it and we could make some tomato-y scrolls using my pizza base recipe for dipping as there were no more tortilla chips left.  So that is what we did!

It was all very exciting and I had 2 people in the kitchen who hadn't been in before, so it was good to finish off the project knowing that two more people had an experience in the kitchen.

Fruit Pie

Jus Rol Shortcrust Pastry
Tin of apricots in juice
1 punnet blueberries
Icing sugar for dusting

Roll out the shortcrust pastry.  Spoon the apricots onto the pastry and some of the juice.  Decorate with blueberries.  Put in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.





The scrolls:




Guacamole:


Chocolate Avocado Mousse:



We made so much stuff in order to use up all the ingredients as much as possible.  We did clear out a lot of stuff, which was good and it all got eaten up.

I have really enjoyed these 5 weeks of summer.  I almost felt like not going on my holiday so I make stuff in the kitchen with the kids next week!  I counted the number of names of people who helped me over the course of the summer.  Once I got to 40, I stopped counting.  Most of those children helped me more than once - some 4 or 5 or 6 times - some more than that.  They really enjoyed making the food and trying new things.  Everyday I was met with choruses of  "Sarah - can I help today please!"  This project has been a real hit with everyone.  Not only did we prepare lots of healthy food, which the children will be able to take away with them in the form of a recipe book - we planted a garden full of herbs and veggies and a and there should be some rosemary seedling sprouting up in the next few weeks ready for the children to take home to their houses to take care of and use in recipes of their own.  We learnt some new things about plants and wildlife on our trip to Roots and Shoots.  I wish we could provide these experiences were available to the children all the time!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.
    Healthy Eating

    ReplyDelete